28 January 2008

Courageous Hannah

The Bishop cradled Sarge's head in his hands, quiet whispers encouraging her companions more than the old soldier. She had, afterall, possessed far more determination and courage than any one of us.

The Lizard touched her old friend with tears in her eyes, but happiness in her heart. The healers had given Hannah one last day of dignity and enjoyment -- spending it resting with friends and sampling favorite foods.

With a nod from The Bishop, the surgeon administered the serum to ease the old soldier to sleep. Quickly and quietly she was gone, all too soon, but dreams well deserved.

The surgeon and assistants paused to allow for silent respects, then moved to take Sarge away.

"May I bear my old friend to her final rest?" I heard myself ask. With none present offering disagreement, I gently lifted my most trustworthy companion and proudly carried her home.

8 comments:

Hump said...

Sorry for your loss; remember all dogs go to heaven...

gina m said...

I'm so sorry for the pain and sadness you both are feeling. How precious to have those final moments with her. I'll be thinking of both of you in the following weeks as you grieve her.

Milaka Falk said...

She was, indeed, courageous. I'm glad that you had the extra time with her. I hope that you, the Bishop and the Lizard know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Genghis Maximus said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment or simply acknowledge our loss. It is much appreciated, and welcome, especially when I consider the disappointment I have felt recently with others who just don't "get it".

Anonymous said...

Damn and hell. I will remember her fondly, as will Iain and Soyean. Peace be with you guys.

Anonymous said...

The Smiths are sorry for your loss. C,S,c&c

Eyrkos said...

Very sorry to learn of Hannah's passing. My thoughts are with ya'll.

Genghis Maximus said...

Thanks all.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kirk.carver/Hannah