12 April 2007

A Bloodletting

The Bishop was initially a firm opponent of the practice. He'd argue with The Lizard, "They're stealing your life force!", when she would suggest the members of 721 contribute to the Bloodletter's cause.

The land needed healing liquors for the many ill and infirm, and the Blood Takers provided a portion of the raw ingredients. Her nature-centric outlook carried no ill-conceived prejudices toward alternative approaches to solving a problem. Thus, with the support of Traten and Sandy, she allowed us to benefit from her liaisons with certain cultures and groups not strictly within the boundaries of Justice's or The Bishop's canons.

I had nothing against them, personally. Unlike vampires, these fellows asked politely if they could take a portion of your fluids. Still, I turned down The Lizard's requests, as I was on the front lines most of the year, and couldn't afford to have my ebony form at less than prime.

But then I went into retirement after twenty plus years on the battlefield, and The Lizard approached me again to participate in a Bloodletting. I considered, then accepted the invitation, and she promised to be there to guide me through the process.

I was lightly amused with the Takers of Blood as they clamored about me. Most commented about my "nice huge veins", with some having to verify by feel what their eyes were perceiving.

"I could hit that with a dart from here!" one Bloodletter boasted from across the room. She gave me a bit of concern, not from her comment, but from the view I received as she proceeded to bend down to retrieve one of her instruments, allowing her trousers to betray a foreboding Crack of Doom . Whereas combat has never left a stain on my memory, this chance occurrence I fear may haunt me for some time.

Certainly a rag-tag group.

Nonetheless, they impressed me with their skill and efficiency, and I was soon enjoying their appreciation of my contribution in the form of sweets and beverages offered to satiate my famous appetite. This was a bonus I had not expected, and I promised The Lizard to return, if only to make periodic samplings of their treats! She seemed amused, but proud, and agreed to join me when I made my contributions.

So, I continue to fulfill my promise to The Lizard time to time, enjoying her company, smiling at the buffoonery of the Blood Takers, but also knowing that my actions are helping others, at little expense to myself.

And after relating my good experience, I think even The Bishop is starting to consider allowing the "fiends" take a look at his veins!



http://www.giveblood.org

6 comments:

Eyrkos said...

The Crack of Doom is NOT something one wants to be staring at during a "blood letting." Indeed, one thought The Cracks were under the auspices of the Cistern Workers Guild. Glad all is well however.

Milaka Falk said...

This reminds me. I need to make an appointment with the Blood Letters. My next visit with them will spur a celebration. I will finally reach one gallon. Huzzah!

Unknown said...

I keep trying to contribute to the cause, but I always forget to partake of a large red meat serving the day before, and my iron is never high enough. *sigh* I only get to give about once every four trips to the center.

Good for you!

Genghis Maximus said...

Gina wrote:
"...I always forget to partake of a large red meat serving the day before, and my iron is never high enough..."

I am no expert in these matters, that is The Lizard's domain. However, I am told that green vegetables contain more iron that can be retained than even red meat.

Popeye may have had something...

Melissa Tyler said...

Congratulations on your first time. Giving of your body to strangers is the purest form of charity.

I'm proud of you, as I am of all my friends who have or have tried.

Charity aside, The Bishop may have been dead wrong, though. There's evidence that the reason women have notably less heart trouble until after menopause is ... well, the bloodletting. Men who donate regularly have closer to the same statistics as women.

Oh, and you should check, should you go in again, to see if you have "baby blood."

Genghis Maximus said...

Baby blood... please elaborate.